Tuesday

Housing Problems

Help! I cannot take this. I am a live-in nanny and have been here since January 2014. At the beginning of February, renovations started on the house. This is not a minor thing, they are adding 2,000 square feet to the house. The problem is my room is not usable at all, so I was going to take one of the children's rooms. I have been on the same floor, sharing the bathroom with a 3 year old and 6 year old boy for two weeks now and running into the father in the hallway when I need to use the facilities. The project is scheduled for completion for August 15. I can complain all I want, but there is no other place for me to stay at their house, excepting where I am. I wanted to propose to them that if they could pay a monthly train pass for me, I could commute and stay and my boyfriend's apartment, six stops away on the Metro North. As an employer, would you think this is fair? I would then be providing my own meals and showers at his place, but at the same time I know it would be a perk to stay with him, but nothing I had planned and something I would need financial assistance to cover. My employers are what people would call well off, so I don't think it is something they cannot afford. I don't want to risk our relationship, which is pleasant, but I don't think I could keep it pleasant living on the main floor of their house, down the hall from their master bedroom. What do you think?
Send your questions, stories and sightings to isynblog@gmail.com.

1 comment:

Kat said...

I'd ask, they are ridiculous to expect you to live under those conditions without having given you the option to have other housing.