Wednesday

Dirty Deeds

     Has anyone ever dealt with this kind of issue? I have an idea about how to handle the issue, only I am unsure of when to do it, and I wonder if M and DB would be appreciative or offended.

     I recently landed a part time (every other weekend) position with a cute family. I get along well with both M and DB, and I recently applied for a full time position, asking MB if I could use them as a reference-MB was concerned that I was leaving them. I assured her I wasn't leaving, and have no intention to.
Aaron Shep

     Every family is different and unique-that's the interesting part of being a nanny. I love this family, and recently started the position a month ago, and whenever I go there, the house is a mess. They aren't very organized. There are crumbs all over the floor, P's high chair is covered in dried food in the seat and tray, there's food on the counter, such as an open box of cereal, fruit, or an open pack of crackers. I'm searching high and low for clothes for the kids, or there are clothes laying around and I don't know what's clean or dirty. The diaper genie is full, and smells of dirty diapers. Toys, shoes, clothes, etc. are laying all over the living room, and I have A clean up things she is not playing with. Of course P being a young toddler will pull everything out, but A is 2, and old enough to clean up her toys.

     I have a WA, and my WA doesn't state I have to clean up after the kids, but I do it because A. it's what nannies do, B. it's unfair to a working parent to have a messy house, C. I have manners, and was always taught that people can tell how you were raised if you don't clean up after yourself. This is a job to me, and imagine if you had a nanny and came home to a messy house at the end of a day? How would you feel about that?

     If I look hard enough, I'm sure I can find a broom for sweeping. I've looked, but can't find it. I want to organize the clothes, which maybe hard due to everything being scattered,and kids waking up during naptime. I also don't know if M or DB would be offended or appreciative.

Email isynblog@gmail.com with your stories, sightings & situations.

6 comments:

Lizzie said...

Aside from all the self-congratulatory "I'm a good person so I clean," I'm not seeing the issue. Yes, clean up messes you make with the kids. Have them put away their toys. But don't clean their house. You're not a housekeeper. If you're not getting paid extra to clean. Doing it and hoping for appreciation can lead to resentment if you don't get the accolades you seem to seek.

Anonymous said...

DONT!!!!! Trust me. Ive worked for several messy homes and when I started doing things on my own, itbgot worse because "the nanny will do it".

You are not a housekeeper...and you aren't being paid for two jobs so don't DO two jobs! You will just set a precedent for you and others. They want to live like slobs, let them. Clean up enough to keep kid out of trouble but beyond that, just don't. And yes, start using toddler to clean up toys and his room.

Angi

Nan said...

Do not volunteer cleaning. This is what they're setting you up to do. They will wait you out. The more you do, the more they will expect. This is how job creep happens. You sweep crumbs at first and will end up vacuuming their whole house! Just don't!

NYC NANNY said...

" A. it's what nannies do, B. it's unfair to a working parent to have a messy house, C. I have manners, and was always taught that people can tell how you were raised if you don't clean up after yourself. This is a job to me, and imagine if you had a nanny and came home to a messy house at the end of a day? How would you feel about that? "

A- its not what nannies do.
B- that working parent is choosing to not have a clean house. Same way at the end of your work day you go home and take care of your home. It's not unfair to them. They are grown adults who know how to sweep.
C- if this is your school of thought. It's a reflection on them not you. You didn't make the mess.

If you do this once it will only become messier and messier on Monday morning. I guarantee you that. They will assume you are going to do it and stop doing anything at all. Do you want to be a housekeeper?? Do you want to to two jobs and be paid for one??

Clean up after you and the kids.

Jenny said...

Agree with everyone! Do not clean up after parents! It's not your job so it's not your prob!!!

Anonymous said...

It may feel uncomfortable to leave the house messy, but it isn't YOUR home. YOU didn't make the mess. I agree with everyone who's said that you should only clean up after messes you make with the kids, and that you are, in a way, teaching the kids to pick up after themselves by putting away their toys. Don't do housekeeping if you are not being paid to do it.