Monday

The Grandparents

The Kyrie Gallery

I am just starting to get nervous because I am taking the kids to their grandparent's house in Illinois for the second time this summer. I agreed to this in April when I started. Besides this, the job was great. My first week in Illinois was terrible.

The Grandparents have a regular house and live very frugally. I don't think they have to. I shared a room with the five year old girl. It was hot. There was a fan in the living room I asked to take to use in the room. The grandmother came in at midnight and turned it off, fearing the 5 year old was freezing. I had no privacy. I had no space at all. They have two grandparent cars. I was told I could use them. Then the grandfather insisted on driving me when I said I wanted to get to town. I just wanted Burger King! Then when I asked him to drop me at the Mall, he suggested he would just sit and read the paper while I looked around. This gave me no freedom. I felt completely stressed the whole time. And I feel bad about that because they are very nice people. I never had time to make my bed or do a dish before it was done for me. The grandmother cooked every meal and doted on me. They aren't at all bad people.  This next trip is ten days. These grandparents are almost eighty. And advice from anyone about how I can make this more bearable?  I have no responsibilities while I am there. My biggest contribution is flying out with them and flying back. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings either. I was almost thinking I should just have a coffee cup full of Seagrams 24/7.

Has anyone ever done a job like this?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I don't think any good can come from trying to get more freedom from them. I would say take up a few good books, maybe some crochet or knitting, stuff to keep you busy in the house. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

I would take this opportunity to get close with them and not push yourself away. It will give you points with the parents. The grandparents are old fashioned, don't try to change that. They obviously want you to be comfortable there and want to keep you safe on their watch. You may see it as annoying but they seem good natured with it. Be thankful you have thoughtful house mates.

RBTC said...

you can also learn alot from their generation - i have been thru that with my own family - just hunker down, and say "this too will pass"!

Anonymous said...

I love grandparents! I take them as it comes. It's just 10 days of your life. You can deal with it. Think of it as camp! Didn't have privacy there either.

You gotta think, you and the kids give them something to do! Their lives are often boring and lonely. Buck up and let them dote.

Angi

Anonymous said...

They care for you! Let them do that and offer to help when needed. Don't try to push them away. Grandparent houses are always hot! Dress and pack clothes that you wont be as hot in. Maybe bring your own personal fan this time. Lol

Former Nanny said...

Are you literally not responsible for the children while visiting or do you just feel that way since the grandparents are so involved? If your boss agrees that your primary responsibility for the duration of the Illinois visit is to be a chaperone on the plane, maybe you can take a bus up to Chicago (or somewhere else nearby- not sure where in Illinois you are) and stay a night or two in the middle of the trip? That would help break up the monotony. I just did a google search for cool packs for sleeping and several things popped up from pillows to full body length cooling pads. Maybe if you explain the AC/fan situation to your boss and request that she purchase one of these items for you she will be accommodating.

this_nick said...

I agree with all. Try to make adjustments from your bosses' end. Explain the issues and ask them to talk to the grandparents about actually letting you drive yourself around. Have them spring for a fan, and if grandma turns it off turn it back on. At eighty, she can't keep this up all night LOL.

Just keep your sense of humor, download lots of stupid time-wasting games to play along with a few books and movies, and maybe even hang with the grandfolks. Ask about outings you could all take the kids on. (Fairs are big in the Midwest this time of year.)

It's 10 days -- you got this!

Sunshine said...

It can be difficult to adjust to such as frugal and doting environment. On the other hand, everything is done for you and it is a great opportunity to catch up on your reading. Let them take care of stuff while you take a break.